Job Title: Smoke House Technician
Department: Smoke House
Reports To: Smoke House Manager
Effective Date: Immediate
Location: Bay City, OR
The primary purpose of the Smokehouse Technician is to operate and monitor all smokehouse processes. The role of the Smokehouse Technician is to ensure the product is cooked in a safe and efficient manner to the highest possible quality.
Duties and Responsibility
- Follow good manufacturing practices (GMP) and HACCP training, along with company SOP’s and SSOP’s.
- Load and unload product into and out of ovens.
- Set oven controllers to correct program indicated in product specifications.
- Complete documentation at required intervals according to company practice.
- Monitor oven cycles and product through testing samples.
- Perform various tests at required intervals such as PH, water activity and internal temperatures on in-process and finished product.
- Maintains a safe, clean and organized work area.
- Work to increase efficiencies and product quality.
- Works with off-racking to ensure trucks are rotated to processing.
- Report detected inconsistencies to quality assurance personnel, supervisors or managers.
- Maintain smoke generators (clean and adjust) control wood chip level.
- Assists in processing, off-racking and packaging when needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- Some shifts will perform sanitation functions for the smokehouses and will require chemical training and the use of PPE gear.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), no prior experience necessary.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Ability to be dependable and maintain regular attendance.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Good judgement with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Ability to understand any and all safety requirements and cautions.
- Ability to perform the physical labor necessary.
- Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person.
- Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, balance, bend, stoop, crouch and talk and hear.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move 30 pounds, and occasionally move carts/gondolas full/empty on wheels weighing up to 700 pounds with assistance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, temperature vary from 30 to 120 degrees; Minimal risk of electric shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud to very loud.