Job Description: Purchasing Manager
Location: Bay City, OR
Reports to: Vice President of Supply Chain
Manages all purchasing activities and establishes strategic purchasing processes and procedures. Maintains relationship with vendors or suppliers and negotiates contracts for major purchases. Evaluates and analyzes purchasing trend and price trend to identify forecasting demand and minimize purchasing costs. Typically requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a senior manager. Manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. Extensive knowledge of department processes.
Essential Job Functions:
- Negotiates with vendors for good and services, negotiating the best possible price and service guarantee.
- Establishes purchasing policies and ensure compliance.
- Develops new supply sources where vendors are inadequate.
- Examines bids and makes awards.
- Establishes account/credit and terms.
- Negotiates blanket purchase orders when appropriate and monitors cost during the time period.
- Ensures Investment Budget rules are followed and keeps track of all DAD’s to ensure adherence to policy.
- Checks requisitions for appropriate approval and account numbers.
- Works closely with receiving department to ensure proper supplies arrived
- Traces delinquent arrivals from purchase orders.
- Follows environmental and safety regulations and acts in compliance with U.S. laws.
- Complies with safety and corporate guidelines on business ethics.
- Manage escalations and collaborate with peers.
- Ancillary project management.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a Purchasing role, specifically within the manufacturing industry
- Excellent written verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical skills (MS Office, with an emphasis on Excel)
- Strong sense of urgency
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Experience with Microsoft NAV preferred
- Team oriented, well organized and focused on details
- Proactive problem solver who works well under pressure